you can try to swim away but you will only die tired... bringing you the political, military, international and domestic news you didn't even know existed or wanted to know more about...

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The fashionista of the disaster relief world


There are a lot of things that I love about America, and American ingenuity is one of them. I love the concepts "where there is a will there is a way," or "if you build it they will come," and perhaps more appropriate, “if you make it they will buy it.” Working in emergency disaster relief I’ve always been keen on wearing tactical uniforms such as BDUs. When the Army introduced its next generation uniform, the digitally camouflaged ACU, I thought it was the best thing since Diet Dr. Pepper. Unfortunately wearing digital camouflage at my work would be out of the question as it would perhaps confuse or intimidate people. The wearing of black, khaki, or navy BDUs was acceptable, but digital camouflage was a definite no-no my boss said. I spent many sleepless nights crying in my bed room, also known as the TOC (Tactical Operations Center), praying that some company would take the ACU uniform and make it appropriate for civilian or law enforcement use.

Imagine my surprise when I opened my latest Galls catalogue! Staring back at me was a navy colored ACU or TRU as Tru-Spec calls their Tactical Response Uniform. As I drooled over the catalogue I realized how sad it was that I was excited about reinforced internal elbow pockets for pad inserts, bellowed lower pockets with hook and loop closures, mandarin collars, and drawstrings. Not only was it available in navy, but black, khaki, and olive drab as well; and I knew then that my charge account would not be safe. American ingenuity strikes again, and no doubt I will look splashing in my khaki TRU with my Altama combat boots. I guess I’m the fashionista of the non-profit, non-government disaster relief world.

3 comments:

High Priestess Kang said...

No!
No!
No!
No!
No!

Shark99 said...

*Shark prances around in his TRU.

High Priestess Kang said...

*kang points at shark and laughs*