you can try to swim away but you will only die tired... bringing you the political, military, international and domestic news you didn't even know existed or wanted to know more about...

Monday, April 09, 2007

Chasing life

This is an offshoot from a post I did on Bowl's blog. I've been thinking long and hard about what the meaning of life is and what I am truly striving for. I've not really come up with a good idea of what I want from life. Why do I work? To make money. Why do I want money? To buy stuff. Why do I want stuff? To make me happy? Does stuff really make me happy though? When I think about it, spending time with friends and family is what makes me happy, and I really don't have to spend money on that other than paying for transportation to get there and maybe for meals at restaurants, etc. Other than that I really don't know what else I'm striving for. The irony is that I have to spend time working, thereby spending less time with friends and family, in order to make money so that I can afford to spend time with friends and family. I sometimes wish we lived in a small village where all of us could spend time together and if we were hungry we could go hunt or gather for food, and we were not bogged down chasing the industrialized, commercialized "American Dream." Let me ask you this question? What are you striving for, what is your ultimate dream or goal?

2 comments:

TK said...

That's an easy one. What do I strive for? Comfort. Not fame, not fortune, simply comfort. I'm easy (not that kind of easy). I work hard so I can afford to live comfortably, and enjoy the company of friends. But I also enjoy the stimulation that some of the things that cost money can provide - books, music, movies, etc. But the basic thing is plain, simple comfort.

It's not too different. However, I will say this - I actually enjoy my work, which makes life a hell of a lot better. And I think if we lived in a hunter gatherer existence, we'd eventually become bored.

Shark99 said...

Yeah, I know what you mean, TK, comfort is the key. As long as I have my friends and family and an endless supply of beer and books, I'd be good. Of course I could never get bored of hunting, but that's just me. Still, we are creatures of comfort I suppose. I don't need Bentleys in my garage or fake chandeliers.